Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2001 23:47:04 -0600 (CST)
From:      hawkeyd@visi.com (D J Hawkey Jr)
To:        darryl@osborne-ind.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DSL & 4.3

In article <002501c178e2$399c4850$0701a8c0_darryl@ns.sol.net>,
	darryl@osborne-ind.com writes:
> Greetings,
> We are just getting DSL (rural America here).  Previously,
> I had a PC installed with 4.3, running ppp -auto -nat, etc.
>
> The ISP provides a DSL router (Slipstream) that you plug into
> your network hub/switch.  It can do nat, filtering, etc.  I'm
> not sure how good it is at security, so I'd like to configure
> the old FreeBSD 4.3 box to do security for my network.  How
> should I do that ?  IE, do I put two nics in the FreeBSD box,
> connect one interface to the slipstream router, and plug the
> other into my network switch ?
>
> Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated, as I am looking
> to have good security.  On 24/7 with a dedicated IP can allow
> a lot of nefarious types the opportunity to pound on my connection.

IMHO, you're on the right track.

My ISP gave me a /30 network, which maps out like this:

---8<---
                 Outside                                     Inside

 assigned pub                            dc1           dc0
 IP     +-----+eth = 208.42.10.10         +-------------+ 192.168.16.2
 ------>| 678 |-------------------------->| FreeBSD box |--------->
 DSL    +-----+                208.42.10.9+-------------+  Inside

(note, I just picked some IP's at random, you won't get these, or use
these particular ones).

So, now you have real IP's, your 678 gets a packet in for 208.42.10.9,
and pushes it down. No NAT translation takes place on the 678. Most of
the rest of the Net now sees most of your packets as coming from
208.42.10.9, which just routes through from the connected route the
678 already has.

--->8---

Note that the conversation implies that the DSL router (Cisco 678)
does nothing but pass raw packets through to the FreeBSD box. No NAT,
no nothing. The FreeBSD box does NAT, FW, and DNS for the internal
192.168.16/24 network.

It's (the FreeBSD box) been running flawlessly, with plenty of spare
cycles such that it is also an X workstation/developer's box (Celeron
766Mhz).

Oh! Note also that the wire from the router to the FreeBSD box is a
corss-over cable - they're "like" interfaces.

> thanks,
> Darryl

Hope this helps,
Dave