Date:      Mon, 10 Apr 1995 10:42:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Pat_Barron@transarc.com
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Installing on large IDE drives

OK, I feel like a moron for asking this, but I've read the FAQs several
times I'm I'm still not sure.

I have a Maxtor 7850 AV disk.  This is an IDE drive with 1654 cylinders,
which does not do any kind of translation.  When I'm installing 2.0R
(using the "newer" floppy images) I can diddle the geometry in FDISK
so that it's recorded as 1023 cylinders (the largest value my BIOS will
accept), but when I tell it "Use entire disk for FreeBSD", it still sets
it up for 1654 cylinders.  Anyway, when I try to install like that, all
the newfs's and such work fine, and the install proceeds without incident
to the "remove the floppys now and reboot from the hard disk" point, but
then the boot manager can not load FreeBSD.  Which tells me that it's
having a problem with the drive geometry.

Is there any way I can get this working, getting FreeBSD to use the entire
drive while the BIOS only knows about 1023 cylinders?  Am I just completely
hosed?

Thanks for any advice.....

--Pat.