Date:      Sun, 10 Oct 1999 11:46:59 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        jason@welsh.dynip.com (jason)
Cc:        sheldonh@uunet.co.za (Sheldon Hearn), cjclark@home.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hiding directories on ftp server

jason wrote,
> On Sun, 10 Oct 1999, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
> > On Sat, 09 Oct 1999 15:56:27 -0400, jason wrote:
> >
> > > I wanted the directory to not be visible (as well as the files in it)..
> >
> > So apply your brain to the problem and take it one step further. :-)
> >
> > You already know that removing read permission on a directory makes its
> > contents invisible, right? So:
> >
> > 	cd /path/to/ftp/directory
> > 	mkdir arb
> > 	chmod 751 arb
> > 	mkdir arb/leech
> > 	chmod 751 arb/leech
> >
> > If your ftp users are in the group of the user creating these
> > directories, then you should use mode 711 instead of 751.
> >
> > Ciao,
> > Sheldon.
> >
> > PS: You could simplify the commands above, but I wanted to make sure you
> >     understand what's happening.
> >

> i must be doing something horribly wrong..
> ive set the pub/leech dir to be chmod 100
> any I can still see that directory from a windows98 machine running its
> dos ftp program... heres the ls -al from the dos box
> d-wx------   2 root     operator      512 Oct  8 21:33 leech
> I dont think I have my ftp user has root priveleges..
> is this weird or am i just totally missing something?
>
> thanks for being patient with me.. ;)

Sheldon's suggestion was to put an unreadable (one that cannot be
'ls'ed), but executable (files in it can be accessed) directory in
between the 'pub' directory and the 'leech' directory. In your reply,
you indicate that you are still putting 'leech' in the readable 'pub'
directory.

Doing something along the lines of what Sheldon suggested, I ftp'ed
into my machine to get a file 'junk' that is hiding up in 'leech,'

ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for '/bin/ls'.
total 1
drwx--x--x  3 cjc  ftp  512 Oct 10 11:33 arb
226 Transfer complete.
ftp> ls arb
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for '/bin/ls'.
ls: arb: Permission denied
226 Transfer complete.
ftp> cd arb
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for '/bin/ls'.
ls: .: Permission denied
226 Transfer complete.
ftp> cd arb
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for '/bin/ls'.
ls: .: Permission denied
226 Transfer complete.
ftp> pwd
257 "/usr/home/ftp/pub/arb" is current directory.
ftp> cd leech
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for '/bin/ls'.
ls: .: Permission denied
226 Transfer complete.
ftp> pwd
257 "/usr/home/ftp/pub/arb/leech" is current directory.
ftp> get junk
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for 'junk' (5 bytes).
226 Transfer complete.
5 bytes received in 0.00 seconds (6.44 KB/s)

Does that not work like you would want? I cannot ls the contents of
arb or leech, but can grab files from them (or chdir in them) if I
know the filename.