Date:      Tue, 11 May 1999 10:21:53 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Norbert Meissner <norbert.meissner@daimlerchrysler.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: vinum-problem

On Monday, 10 May 1999 at 15:14:20 +0200, Meissner, Norbert wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> last weekend i tried to get vinum working for me. Everytime I tried a
> 'create' it crashes. Maybe someone can help me.
> My hardware is a 486 DX, Adaptec 1542B, 3 SCSI-Disks (2x1GB(da0, da1) and
> 1x2GB(da2)). The software is FBSD 3.1 RELEASE, residing on da0.

How much memory?  It's possible that there are problems with the 1542
with over 16 MB of memory.

> I started with reading the manpages and the vinum article from greg
> lehey at www.lemis.com. Now i decided to build a concat volume
> because greg wrote that this could be expanded later. Just for
> testing purposes i tried to build a one slice volume, just as
> written in the article on page 9. greg uses the partition(?)
> /dev/da3h and so i run into the first problem. whether
> /stand/sysinstall nor disklabel as described in the handbook lets me
> make this. everytime i get something like da1s1e. i gave up on this
> and choosed to start over. here's a transcript of what i've done
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rda1 bs=1k count=1  # worked, dd tells about 1024
> bytes in and out
> /stand/sysinstall
> select post-installation
> select fdisk, da1
> all space in one partition
> dedicated disk question  ->NO					  # I've
> answered NO to get a dedicated disk, no other OS is on the machine
> # get out of here
> select disklabel
> all space in one slice
> toggle newfs
> # don't newfs the slice
> # writes partition and slice to disk
> error-message that it can't mount			  # the handbook
> says ignore
> lot of escapes
> # get out of here
>
> at this time i have a slice named da1s1e. if i newfs it, i can mount it (i
> tried this later to be sure, that it isn't a disk failure). as the next step
> i wrote a config file (vino.conf):
>   drive sl1 device /dev/wd1s1e

From vinum(8):

     drive name option

           Define a drive.  The option must be:

           device devicename   Specify the device on which the drive resides.
                               devicename must be the name of a disk compati-
                               bility partition, for example /dev/da1e or
                               /dev/wd3h, and it should be of type vinum. Do
                               not use the c partition, which is reserved for
                               the complete disk, and should be of type
                               unused. It is currently possible to create
                               drives on other disk devices, for example
                               /dev/da0s1 or /dev/da0s1e, but it will not be
                               possible to start these drives after a reboot.

But that doesn't seem to be your problem.

>   volume adder
>   plex org concat
>   sd length 512m drive sl1                  #the first time i tried 1024m,
> later other other values´, all failures

What was the failure?

> after saving the file, i've done
> kldload vinum
> klstat (yes, it's there!)
> vinum
> vinum->create vino.conf
>
>  CRASH-BOOM-BANG

Can you explain that in more detail?

> vinum told me that the drive is faulty, crashed and other things i just
> don't remember. the next thing i did was resetconfig. after one or to
> minutes (i had to press return several times), it told me that the
> configuration is obliterated. and so i started over and over with other
> partition sizes, other parameters, disklabel from the command line (didn't
> work for me).

What happened?

> Some hours later i decided to ask someone who has some knowledge
> about these things.

Based on your report, it's impossible to guess what happened.  I'd
suggest you get the latest version of Vinum from
ftp://ftp.lemis.com/pub/vinum, install it, read the man pages (they've
increased significantly in volume) and try again.  If you still have
problems, read the section DEBUGGING PROBLEMS WITH VINUM in vinum(4)
and contact me if you can't figure it out.

Greg