Date:      Sun, 30 Jul 2000 19:40:48 +0300 (EAT)
From:      <ksemat@wawa.eahd.or.ug>
To:        john saleeby <johnsaleeby@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: accessing the web

You definitely need an upstream and probably a range of IPs to assign to
your dialup or wireless clients. As well you will need a router of some
sort. I know someone these ends who is doing something similar. They have
a BSD machine and a router with a modem rack. he has one routable IP from
his upstream and a leased line to his upstream. He then assigns dialup
clients with rfc1918 private IPs and masquearades them with NAT through
his BSD machine.
 On Sun, 30 Jul 2000, john saleeby wrote:

> Date: Sun, 30 Jul 2000 11:11:21 CDT
> From: john saleeby <johnsaleeby@hotmail.com>
> To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject: accessing the web
>
> Talk about a Newbie!(That's me) I live in a small town with few ISPs the
> only free ISP is not reliable( and we could loose it anytime). What I really
> want to do is establish a small local ISP (200-300) users and split the
> operating costs among the users. NOW- is BSD (part of)the way to do this?
> What more than the server(BSD) do we need to connect to the net? Phone
> line(?) or what? OR DO WE STILL NEED TO HAVE AN ISP TO CONNECT TO, OR CAN WE
> GO DIRECT TO THE WEB????(IF YES< HOW)                         Told you we
> were Newbies (but we're sincere)
>
> If I'm barking up the wrong tree please let me know - but if it can be done
> point me in the right direction.
>
> Thank you,
> John

 Noah