Date:      Wed, 5 Nov 1997 12:46:16 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@bitbox.follo.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        tom@sdf.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Password verification (Was: cvs commit: ports/x11/kdebase - Imported sources)

On Tue, Nov 04, 1997 at 11:33:29PM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > >   How would that be useful?
> >
> > Security.  If a user can check other people's passwords, he can
> > brute-force passwords.  If he can't, he can't.  :-)
>
> /usr/bin/login
> rshd
> telnetd
> rlogind
> pop3d
>
> ....uh, the user can already check other peoples passwords this way.

The only one of these that is universal is /usr/bin/login; it still
contain a slow-down to make it hard to use for brute-force attacks.
And I'd still say that verifying his/her own password is a priviledge
that is logical for a user to have; checking other people's passwords
isn't (or at least isn't in the same category.)

Eivind.