Date:      09 Mar 1999 15:12:38 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <chris@shenton.org>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        tom@tomqnx.com, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.1-STABLE: nrsa0 T4000 doesn't honor "no rewind"? SCSI errs in   logs

Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com> writes:

> Yes- I added the code that tries to unload the tape if things get screwed
> up- but some tapes don't eject.

The Travan-TR4's (and probably any QIC) won't eject.

> Let's get a sense from y'all- is this a bad idea? Frankly, dump and tar
> and other backup programs are fantastically broken if they don't, at each
> open, always either explicitly position to a known locatio, or get
> position information and use that, or explicitly space to EOD. It seems to
> me that if you've lost position information you should try and force the
> tape out.

I dunno. I recall seeing some amusing comment on the "sa" or "scsi"
man page something about "we don't know why it's done this way but we
follow the convention that...".

Frankly, if the "better" way breaks existing behavier, then it's not a
win for the users. There's plenty of braindead hardware out there in
the PeeCee world :-(