Date:      Sun, 8 Nov 1998 8:43:59 -0600
From:      RJEnt <rjent@rjent.pair.com>
To:        "questions@freebsd.org" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   tar disaster recovery questions

Greetings,

I am a rookie at disaster recovery and I have hade a machine crash and have rebuilt & recovered the
mission critical data however I am a bit puzzled if I went about my recovery the correct way.

To backup I am using:

tar -cv /*

to backup to the tape.

Successful recovery steps were:

I wanted to upgrade the os while I was at it and I installed a basic install running the features I wanted then
I put the mission crititcal data back on it via:

tar -x stuff_I_wanted_back  (mostly apps that I am serving from Samba)

while located in / on the disk.

This all went well but, but when I restored the home dirs then I lost my link to /home so I just recreated it by:

 ln -s /usr/home /home

I hope that was right it seems to be working.  My question are:

Does tar not support this?
Should I switch to dump and why?

All thoughts welcome so I may improve my disaster recovery plan.  Thanks!
http://www.rjent.pair.com
FreeBSD, Nothing but the BEST!
Samba + FreeBSD =FreePDC!