Date:      Thu, 14 Dec 2000 19:28:29 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        FreeBSD-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: new kernel build method?

On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 05:22:55AM +1100, Kal Torak wrote:
> Hiyas,
>
> Just hoping I can get something clarified..
> I saw in a post to this list a few days back about how were not
> *supposed* to compile kernels using the old method in the latest
> stable, at least I think it was this list...
>
> But what is the old method? Is the old method doing:
> cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
> /usr/bin/config KERNEL-NAME
> cd ../../compile/KERNEL-NAME
> make dep
> make
> make install

Yes, that is the "old" method. (Except it is "make depend" not "make dep".)

> Are we meant to be doing it from /usr/src using:
> make buildkernel KERNEL=KERNEL-NAME
> make installkernel KERNEL=KERNEL-NAME

Yes, but note that this only works if you have done a "make buildworld"
first.

> Or a totally different way, that post has got me totally confused
> now :(
> I thought that was just for upgrading since the new world hadn't
> installed yet using the other way wouldn't work...

The "old" version should still work fine if the source you are building
from is the same as the world you are currently running was built with.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson