Date:      Wed, 6 Jun 2001 15:29:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
Cc:        Mats Dufberg <dufberg@nic-se.se>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any patch for fxp driver?

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Louis A. Mamakos wrote:

> > On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Louis A. Mamakos wrote:
> >
> > > Another "failure" mode that I noticed with the new fxp driver is that
> > > sometimes auto-negotiation doesn't work.  I fixed my problem by
> > > explicitly configuring the media type and mediaopts in rc.conf and
> > > all is happy (for me, anyway) again.
> >
> > I'll try that. Exactly what mediaopts do you have for the setting?
>
> Somethingl like this:
>
> ifconfig_fxp0="inet x.x.x.x  netmask 255.255.255.0  media 100baseTX mediaopt
>  full-duplex"
>
> in my /etc/rc.conf.  Note that this system is connected to a 100Base-T
> ethernet switch with full-duplex capable ports..
>
> louie

  Beware though.  Autonegotiation != autodetection.  If you manually set
any duplex settings on your switch or your NIC, autonegotiation is
disabled on your switch or your NIC respectively.  Autonegotiation must be
set on both ends for it to work.  I use autonegotiation religiously now,
as I hate having to keep reprogramming switch ports.  All the hardware I
use works properly with auto.

Tom