Date:      Wed, 11 Nov 1998 15:16:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      Steve Kargl <sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        jb@cimlogic.com.au, tlambert@primenet.com, crossd@cs.rpi.edu, jkh@time.cdrom.com, nate@mt.sri.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linux software installation and uname

According to Terry Lambert:
> I was asking why you didn't just patch the install script as one of
> the standard patchfiles you applied to the programs from the
> original vendor when you made the "ports" entry for the program.
>
> In other words, when I go to install the thing from FreeBSD 3.0.1
> from the sysinstall menu, it should ask me for the CDROM from
> the program vendor, mount it, copy the install script to /tmp,
> patch the install script to route around the uname dependency on
> Linux (preferrably by adding a FreeBSD target, so the patch can
> be given back to the vendor for the next time they burn CDROMs),
> and then the install would "just work".
>
> I'd do the job, but I don't have a copy of the CDROM.

Well, I started the thread, so here goes.  It isn't that simple,
the script also checks to see that it was executed from /cdrom/x86-1.7/linux.
You can work around that I suppose once you find all the dependency.
Next, you need to specify where the libgcc and libf2c for linux live.
This can be fixed after the install.  There other idiosyncracies that
need to be adjusted.

--
Steve

finger kargl@troutmask.apl.washington.edu