Date:      Mon, 6 Mar 2000 22:21:53 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Pekka Savola <pekkas@netcore.fi>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Password hashing algorithm changed, what to do?

On Tue, Mar 07, 2000 at 01:43:43AM +0200, Pekka Savola wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I updated several FreeBSD 2.2.x boxen to 3.2 and from there to 3.4-STABLE
> with CVSup.  I installed new stuff in /etc and elsewhere with mergemaster
> etc.  Almost everything seems to be running great.
>
> However, it seems password hashing algorithm changed along the way; the
> weird thing is, I can log on with SSH fine, but I can't log on from
> console.  I believe these boxes might have used DES before, but now it's
> the default (MD5 I believe) that comes with the standard source set.

I'm pretty sure nothing has changed (but I started using FreeBSD at
2.2.7).

> Is there anything to be done short of changing all passwords?  Why does
> ssh work, but console not?

Not sure why SSH works if you are typing in passwords and not using
the RSA authentication or some other mechanism.

But here's the background you need to go back to your old setup,

    http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/security.html