Date:      Thu, 5 Jun 1997 10:48:16 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Rolf Marvin B|e Lindgren <r.m.b.lindgren@usit.uio.no>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   installation woes

hi,

I've got a Pc with two hard disks; both of which have two partitions.
I'd like to install FreeBSD on the second partition of the second disk.
it's empty, at least as viewed from Win95.

howevever, when I choose the wd2 disk I am presented with something I
don't understand.  I see _four_ items on wd2, one small unused, on large
DOS partition, one large extended partition, and then one small unused
partition.  I believe the empty parition is probably the large extended
one (Win95 can only access 2MB at a time on my machine, hence one 2MB
DOS partition and one 1MB extended).

if I tell the installation program to install to the extended partition,
I'm warned that it's in use.  for all I know, I've misunderstood
something, and don't want to delete anything for fear that I'll not be
able to recover it.

how can I make absolutely sure that I'll install onto the empty F:
partition of my second drive, and not delete anything on any of the
other C:,D:,E: partitions?