Date:      Tue, 06 Feb 96 15:01:43 -0600
From:      swise@austin.ibm.com (Jean-Steveau Wise)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   assertions

Hi,

I'm debugging a problem with 2.1 FreeBSD where my ATAPI cdrom hangs the
system entirely (cannot ping via ethernet, cannot invoke the debugger,
etc etc).  I'm a kernel hacker but my expertise is in AIX/RS-6K SW/HW.

I want to put assertions into the ATAPI driver code and the kernel to
assert that the ATAPI code doesn't leave a system call or interrupt
with interrupts disabled.  Can anyone help me code this assertion?  My
thoughts are that the ATAPI code is possibly disabling ints, then
failing under some cases to re-enable them.  I'd like to catch this
somehow.  So, if this assertion fails, I'd like to jump into the kernel
debugger.

Anyone else have thoughts on how I might debug this problem?

Thanx in advance,

********
Steve Wise	IBM RISC System/6000 Division - Austin, TX.
Internet:	swise@austin.ibm.com
VNET:		AUSTIN(SWISE)