Date:      Fri, 25 Jun 2010 23:40:05 GMT
From:      Paul Lambert <eb30750@gmail.com>
To:        gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re :ports/148129: Gnome-lite-2.30.1 does not allow login

The following reply was made to PR ports/148129; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Paul Lambert <eb30750@gmail.com>
To: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2010 19:11:48 -0400

 --00504502c10d427c1c0489e2e5e7

 I deleted this package and reinstalled from
 ftp.freebsd.ch/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-current/Latest/ with the
 same results.  It needs to be emphasized that the lack of the reboot and
 shutdown buttons working for this display forces the user to perform a
 hardware powerdown reset that in most cases results in a dirty file system
 upon reboot.  This exercise takes considerable time and several runs of fsck
 to get the disk back to a clean status.

 I do like the fact that I can go into run level 4 and get a sh prompt.
 Though I must remount root (/) as writeable and then mount /usr I can use vi
 to edit the rc.conf file and get back to a shell prompt interface after a
 reboot.  This beats needing a CD disk to boot from tremendously.  But, run
 levels 2 and 3 will crash for me.  I intend to file a bug on this.

 --00504502c10d427c1c0489e2e5e7

 I deleted this package and reinstalled from <a href=3D"http://ftp.freebsd.c=
 h/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-current/Latest/" target=3D"_blank">ftp.f=
 reebsd.ch/pub/FreeBSD/ports/amd64/packages-current/Latest/</a> with the sam=
 e results.=A0 It needs to be emphasized that the lack of the reboot and shu=
 tdown buttons working for this display forces the user to perform a hardwar=
 e powerdown reset that in most cases results in a dirty file system upon re=
 boot.=A0 This exercise takes considerable time and several runs of fsck to =
 get the disk back to a clean status.<br>

 =A0 Though I must remount root (/) as writeable and then mount /usr I can u=
 se vi to edit the rc.conf file and get back to a shell prompt interface aft=
 er a reboot.=A0 This beats needing a CD disk to boot from tremendously.=A0 =
 But, run levels 2 and 3 will crash for me.=A0 I intend to file a bug on thi=
 s.<br>

 --00504502c10d427c1c0489e2e5e7--