Date:      Wed, 26 May 1999 09:45:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@internetcds.com>
To:        Forrest Aldrich <forrie@forrie.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: RAID solutions for FreeBSD

The going options are either:

DPT PM3334UW's (the SmartRAID IV's).  They're OK.

ccd for raid 0 or raid 1 support.  (But not 0+1 I believe).

vinum for raid 0 or raid 1, and there is an optional commercial module
that is supposed to do RAID 5, but I haven't tried it yet.

External SCSI-SCSI RAID boxes.  This appears to be one of the best ways
going, as it removes a lot of dependencies, and lets you use the SCSI
adapter of your choice.  Mylex makes one that seems to be commonly used, I
believe it's the DAC960SX.  There are others.

If it were me, I would probably go with external, if space isn't an issue.