Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 1999 08:46:46 -0600
From:      Jon Hamilton <hamilton@pobox.com>
To:        Daniel Lang <dl@leo.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make release - a nightmare

In message <19990326134015.C26520@informatik.tu-muenchen.de>, Daniel Lang wrote
:
} Hiho,
}
} this is a long story, I'm afraid, but I think
} I identified some of the main problems, so maybe
} they can be fixed..
}
} I thought I could easily use my CVS-repository, and
} some disk-space to set up a SNAP-'release' suitable to
} install other boxes with... so far so good.
} Unfortunately it didn't turn out to be that easy.
}
} One of my main problems was, that there are no real
} 'checkpoints' at some stages, where you can continue
} if an error aborted, the whole build. There is at
} least one, I realized, that you can use
} 'make rerelease' if the source/doc/ports-trees
} once are checked-out from the rep. Still a
} very time-consuming cvs update has to be done :-/,

You can simply do ``make rerelease RELEASENOUPDATE <other stuff>''
to avoid the cvs update.

[ ... ]

} Generally more documentation about 'make release'
} would be nice. Well I volunteer to set up a webpage

The sentiment seems to be that ``make release is meant for experts
only'', which I don't think is entirely appropriate, although I do
understand that it's a hairy process and Jordan and others are very
busy and cleaning it up and/or writing better documentation is just
something they haven't gotten around to yet.  I started toying with
make release a couple of weeks ago and ran into some of the problems
you mentioned, eventually working around them and making a successful
release.  I took notes and intend to write and contribute some
documentation, but as always time is very scarce and I can't even
guess when I might have anything of use.

--
   Jon Hamilton
   hamilton@pobox.com