Date:      Sun, 30 Apr 2000 21:30:35 -0400
From:      Jason Garman <jgarman@wedgie.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   bridging code problems with aliasing

The bridging code returns a random hw address from the
interfaces which are bridged to arp requests.  My bridge host has an IP x
(bound to ed0), and every time an arp request is sent on the wire for x,
either ed0's hw address is returned or fxp0's address is returned.

This is mostly a minor annoyance most of the time, because the machine
will answer arp requests on both ed0 and fxp0 regardless of the hw address
it is currently "using."  However, when an alias is added to the machine,
if the machine currently "thinks" its hardware address is fxp0's hw
address, it will not answer any arp requests from ed0.  If the machine
currently "thinks" its hardware address is ed0's hw address then it will
answer all arp requests from both wires.

So, basically, aliasing and bridging do not mix.

Any clues?
--
Jason Garman                                         http://web.wedgie.org/
Student, University of Maryland                          jgarman@wedgie.org