Date:      Sun, 21 May 2000 00:40:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jim Weeks <jim@siteplus.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   ad0 drivers revisited

I thought this was fixed ;-(

Sorry to bring this one back up, but at the time the thread was going on I
didn't have a machine with this problem.  I do now.  I updated this
machine from 3.4-stable to 4.0-stable with source cvsuped Wednesday.

ad0: 4884MB <Maxtor 85120A8> [10585/15/63] at ata0-master using BIOSDMA
ata1-slave: simplex device, DMA on primary only
acd0: CDROM <FX400D> at ata1-slave using BIOSPIO
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
ad0: READ command timeout - resetting
ata0: resetting devices .. done
ad0: READ command timeout - resetting
ata0: resetting devices .. done
ad0: READ command timeout - resetting
ata0: resetting devices .. done
ad0: READ command timeout - resetting
ata0-master: timeout waiting to give command=ef s=eb e=eb
ad0: trying fallback to PIO mode
ata0: resetting devices .. done

After going over the archives it seems that the fix is to put /sbin/sysctl
-w hw.atamodes=pio,pio,pio,pio at the beginning of /etc/rc.  This is not
working for me.

What resolution if any was there to this problem?

Thanks,

Jim Weeks
-------- A mind is a terrible thing to lose!  How I miss mine..