Date:      Fri, 3 Sep 1999 13:14:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      BSD Bob <bsdbob@weedcon1.cropsci.ncsu.edu>
To:        obrien@NUXI.com
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Status of FBSD sparc porting?

> > on that?), 2) the OpenBSD 1.0 port, 3) the OpenBSD 2.5 port, the NetBSD
>                             ^^^
> There is no OpenBSD 1.0.  OpenBSD started their versioning at 2.0 (I
> guess Theo considered NetBSD 1.0 to be the 1.0 version for OpenBSD).

Forgive me, it was NetBSD-1.0.   My error.

Look on ftp.bme.hu/pub/OS/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.0/sparc.

I did bring it up on my SS1, on SunOS, and it seemed to work
relatively well.  The source tree seems to be there, but I
dunno offhand if the sparc bits are there.  The INSTALL file
tells how to overlay the SunOS system to get it up from Sunos.

> Since most don't have SunOS source, why overlay SunOS rather than NetBSD
> (or OpenBSD)?  That is how FreeBSD/Alpha came about.  IIRC, first
> NetBSD's userland was replaced with FreeBSD's (with teaks in libc for the
> syscall differences).  Then the NetBSD kernel grew into the FreeBSD
> kernel.

I was thinking of the shortest path to getting a running system.
Once running, work forward from there.  I don't seriously think
cross-compiling is going to be the shortest path.  IMHO one needs
to work from either SunOS, NetBSD or OpenBSD for starters.

> > The OBSD 1.0 was built from sources on a running SunOS system,
>
> Can you please document this?  I've never heard of this before.
> (that and when/how there was a 1.0 version of OpenBSD).

My error, it was NetBSD 1.0.

Bob