Date:      Mon, 14 Dec 1998 17:16:21 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Jasper O'Malley" <jooji@webnology.com>
To:        "Alain G. Fabry" <fabry@panam.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what's in /var/spool/mqueue

On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, Alain G. Fabry wrote:

> What's in the /var/spool/mqueue directory?

The sendmail mail queue.

> There are two files that are taking up lots of space. Can I delete these
> files?
> Files are called dfVAA02038, etc

They're queue files. If I recall correctly, qf* files are the core queue
files (contain important headers, some other information about a message),
df* files contain the body of the mail messages, lf* files are lockfiles
used for messages that are currently being processed, and xf* files
contain the transaction details (SMTP commands) used in processing a
message. The numbers after the df/lf/xf/qf in the filename are the "Queue
IDs" for the messages.

Type "mailq" to see what sendmail currently thinks is in the queue. If it
says the mail queue is empty, you can probably safely delete those files,
since they're probably leftovers from some sendmail crash long past. You
can more the files to see what's in them; they're text files. If the files
correspond to a message shown by "mailq," well, then you know what they
belong to.

Cheers,
Mick

The Reverend Jasper P. O'Malley          dotdot:jooji@webnology.com
    Systems Administrator                  ringring:asktheadmiral
	Webnology, LLC               woowoo:http://www.webnology.com/~jooji