Date:      Tue, 09 Nov 2010 15:58:27 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Garrett Cooper <gcooper@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        "C. P. Ghost" <cpghost@cordula.ws>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Only display ACPI bootmenu key if ACPI is present

> Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2010 15:45:00 -0800
> From: Garrett Cooper <gcooper@FreeBSD.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-current@freebsd.org
>
> On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 2:58 PM, C. P. Ghost <cpghost@cordula.ws> wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 11:14 PM, John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org> wrote:
> >> This patch changes the Forth code for the Beastie menu to only display the
> >> menu option to enable or disable ACPI if the loader detects ACPI.  This avoids
> >> displaying a menu item prompting to enable ACPI if the BIOS doesn't actually
> >> include ACPI.  Any objections?
> >
> > Wouldn't that be a POLA violation? Some admins may be used to the
> > current menu, and would be scratching head as what went wrong.
> > Maybe it would be better to keep the menu option, but make it
> > non-selectable and print next to it something like "(not available)"?
>
>     Yeah... seems like it would be; besides, I'm kind of used to
> pressing numbers 4 and 6 when I have a boot menu :).
> Thanks!

Wait a minute. The menu is a POLA violation. I'm used to hitting
'<SPC>boot -s' and entering just '4' is clearly not the way the Lord
meant it to be. (I edit the loader.4th file to turn it off o my personal
systems, being an old curmudgeon.)

If you are going to use a menu at all, why not make it as functional as
possible? If someone has menus on and hits '4' with the PCBSD menu, it
won't do what it does now, but it won't really do anything at all until
you tell it to go. As POLA violations go this is nothing compared to
when the menu appeared.

I say, "Go 4 IT!"
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer