Date:      Mon, 18 Jan 1999 16:33:59 -0800
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        Jerry Preeper <preeper@cts.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WD 8.4GB hard drive question

At 04:10 PM 1/18/99 , Jerry Preeper wrote:
>I'm in the process of building a second system with both Win 95 and
>FreeBSD.  I have noticed that when I try and use fdisk, it only shows the
>8.4GB Western Digital Caviar hard drive as 504MB.  According to Western
>Digital's web site, it looks like I need to use the EZ-Drive utility to be
>able to format and partition this disk.  I have checked Asus' web site and
>been trying to download a new BIOS for the Asus P2L97S motherboard but
>Asus' ftp server has been down.  I'm not sure if this will solve the
>problem with recognizing the size or not.  My question is, should I keep
>trying and do the BIOS update first, or just use the EZ-Drive utility?
>Will either of these cause any problems on the FreeBSD side?  I'm currently
>running 2.2.6-RELEASE and should be upgrading to 2.2.8-RELEASE soon.

DOS needs LBA mode enabled in order to see past 504MB. If you don't have
LBA mode enabled (option 2(Y) when you do the IDE auto-detect in the BIOS),
you won't see past 504MB.
FreeBSD doesn't need LBA mode on. It will see the true geometry (which
might be a problem if you're mixing LBA and non-LBA translations...). What
I've seen suggested on this list before is that you create a partition for
FreeBSD using DOS's FDISK so that FreeBSD uses that geometry, and then
convert that partition to FreeBSD (not exactly sure how this goes... maybe
just changing the partition type to FreeBSD in FreeBSD's fdisk program).

--Ludwig Pummer ( ludwigp@bigfoot.com )
ICQ UIN: 692441 (  ludwigp@email.com  )