Date:      Wed, 05 Feb 1997 22:43:32 -0500
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   DOS partition trouble

Twice now, I have removed a DOS partition
from a disk with both DOS and FreeBSD
partitions and been unable to boot FreeBSD.

In the case today, it was partition 1 that
was a DOS fat type partition. I wanted to
remove that and use it for FreeBSD.

Upon removing the partition with DOS FDISK,
I was no longer able to boot the FreeBSD partition.
The boot code appeared to be jumping off to nowhere.
The boot manager menu would appear, then , when it
tried to proceed with the boot, it would crash and reboot.

After fooling with this for a couple of hours, I finally
decided to try putting the DOS partition back, so I deleted
the new FreeBSD partition and replaced it with a DOS partition.
I formatted this and had no trouble booting DOS. I then ran the
partition editor in sysinstall and wrote out a new boot
Block. Voila! Now I can boot the FreeBSD (and the DOS) partitions.
Why?

I had tried running the partition editor when I had no DOS
partition and it gave all indications of sucessfully writing
out the boot block, but would not boot until I remade the
DOS partition. Trying to mount the root directory from the MFS
on the boot floppy gave a "bad super block" error.

I thought I understood what was going on with the partition
scheme, but I guess not. Can someone please proffer an
explanation of this behavior?

thanks
Jim Durham