Date:      Sat, 13 May 2006 01:45:29 +0900 (JST)
From:      Tadaaki Nagao <abtk@shitamachi.org>
To:        scottl@samsco.org
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Current favored SCSI RAID controller?

In "Re: Current favored SCSI RAID controller?",
    Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org> wrote:
> The Adaptec (non-ICP) controllers probably have the best command line
> management tool.  The ICP tool is passable, but getting it to work seems
> to be problematic for some people.  The LSI tool is very bare bones.
> Just about all of the SCSI RAID controllers out there are supported well
> by FreeBSD, with the exception of the older Adaptec controllers that
> fall under the asr driver.  Avoid that at all costs.

Would you give some more information if possible, on why the asr
controllers should be avoided and/or what issues they have?

I'm getting a little anxious, because I've been using tens of asr
RAID controllers at work for years and haven't realized (or simply
can't remember ;-) any issue except that the CLI management tool
isn't clear which option takes a physical or logical disk address.

--
Tadaaki Nagao <abtk@shitamachi.org>