Date:      Wed, 8 Aug 2001 17:05:18 +0100
From:      j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
To:        Alexander Litvin <archer@whichever.org>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: argh!! Can't get bind/rmi to work....

On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 10:09:48AM -0400, Alexander Litvin wrote:
| > | Looks like some sort of DNS issue, right?
| > | is BindTest a valid hostname on your system?
| > | I doubt it.
| > | Try replacing:
| > |
| > |    String name = "//BindTest";
| > | by
| > |     tring name = "//localhost/BindTest";
|
| > Well, according to the API, the host name defaults to localhost if left out,
| > and the port defaults to 1099 (rmiregistry's default) if left out.  But even
| > when i use localhost, it doesn't work.  :-\
|
| Do you by any chance run current?

No, I don't.  Actually, I think the problem is related to networking.  It
took a lot of tinkering to get the URL format correct, but the real problem
now is that my applet appears on the www node, but because of AFS, the
server itself runs elsewhere.  Because this is a security violation, it
complains.

I finally gave the applet full privileges on my machine, and now it just
times out with an unknown connection problem while trying to contact the
server.  I have no idea why.

| Why I'm asking is that I got the same kind of failure with very
| straightforward networking program (just does getByName() and sends
| udp packets to the obtained address). And this program used to work
| at least some 6 months ago. Since then I upgraded system couple
| of times, and now the very same program causes java 1.2.2 (FreeBSD
| native built from port) to coredump with the similar simpthoms
| as yours. So, I figure, it has something to do with my system
| upgrade (libraries? syscalls?). I even rebuilt jdk, but it didn't
| help.
|
| The simple program below causes java to die at the line where
| DatagramPacket is constructed:
|
| ----
| import java.net.*;
| import java.io.*;
|
| public class dns {
|   public static void main(String[] args) throws InterruptedException {
|     byte[] buffer = new byte[2048];
|     try {
|       InetAddress addr=InetAddress.getByName(args[0]);
|       DatagramPacket packet = new DatagramPacket(buffer,buffer.length,
|         addr,1111);
|     } catch(Exception e) {
|       e.printStackTrace(System.out);
|     }
|   }
| }
| ----
|
| I'm going to investigate this, if I can.
|
| --
| #include <signature.h>

jm
--
"Investigators have discovered the cause of the TWA 800 explosion
was a frayed wire.  The wire became frayed when it was struck