Date:      Fri, 9 Nov 2001 22:50:48 +0100 (CET)
From:      Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>
To:        <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <peter@freebsd.org>
Subject:   *.info documentation missing for CVS (and other GNU tools)

/usr/share/info/ is empty on a more or less default installation of
4.4-RELEASE, even though GCC, CVS, and other GNU tools are part of
the base system.

Especially in the case of CVS (and I believe also GCC and others) this is
extremely bad, because the man pages of these programs are incomplete, and
the only way to get the full documentation is by using the *.info files.

Is there any specific reason why these are not included in FreeBSD?

  pulcherrima[173]:/FreeBSD/src/contrib/cvs% find . -name '*info*'
  ./src/parseinfo.c
  ./doc/cvs.texinfo

*.info files are generated from *.texinfo, and cvs.texinfo *is* part
of the FreeBSD source tree, as are /usr/bin/info (the info browser)
and /usr/bin/makeinfo (the compiler).

Could we also have the generated *.info files become part of the base
system?

Gerald