Date:      Fri, 06 Aug 2010 15:11:58 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Adam Vande More <amvandemore@gmail.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: i keep *trying* to move from portupgrade to portmaster

On 08/06/2010 15:03, Adam Vande More wrote:

> While your in the mood for for taking portmaster suggestions,

I am always in the mood for taking suggestions. :)

> I think an
> option to backup all currently installed packages would be useful.

for pkg in /var/db/pkg/* ; do
	pkg_create -b $pkg
done

> have a python script that does this for me, but it would be easy enough
> to use sh as well.  I do this because there have been too many times
> something has broken during a port upgrade run and I need to revert
> immediately and fix later.  I realize the backup package feature sort of
> does the same thing, but reconciling the pre- and post- updates is a
> tough thing for me.  Having a user defined directory all currently
> installed ports can be put in is much easier to work with IMO. I know of
> other people doing similar things because I shared my script on
> questions- and got a few responses awhile ago.

It sounds like you want to add the option(s) for "create and keep a
backup package of an installed port" and/or "create a package of the new
port" either to your command line, wrapper script, or a portmaster rc
file. You could use the command line above to create an up to date
repository of your currently installed packages, and the 2 options above
would both make sure you can back out an update and keep your local
package repo up to date automatically.

In the upcoming portmaster version there is also a new feature to clean
out stale stuff from your $PACKAGES directory similarly to the way the
feature to clean out stale distfiles works now, which should help you in
keeping the repository described above fairly un-crufty.

hth,

Doug

			-- Pablo Picasso