Date:      Mon, 21 Jun 1999 01:15:22 -0400
From:      Dave Chapeskie <dchapes@ddm.on.ca>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        andreas@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Splitting a port into optional pieces... games/crossfire

[Please CC:dchapes@ddm.on.ca in all replies since I don't
 currently subscribe to the freebsd-ports mailing list.]

I noticed that the games/crossfire port was out of date by several
releases so I attempted to update the port to the latest version but I
encountered a few issues and I'm unsure of the best way to proceed so
I'm sending this e-mail in the hopes that I will be enlightened. :-)

The new release has separate tarballs for the server, maps, client, and
two separate tarballs for sound.  I'd like to break the port up into
several pieces but I'm not sure if this is deemed acceptable.  What I
have in mind is:

crossfire:		Server and map editor only
crossfire-maps:		Maps for the server

crossfire-client:	X11 client
crossfire-gtkclient:	GTK client
crossfire-ausounds:	*.au format sounds for client
crossfire-sounds:	*.raw format sounds for client

The server would depend on the maps port and the clients would depend on
one of the sound ports if sound was enabled.

Does this sound reasonable or is that too many separate ports for one
game?

The server and maps could be left together but since the maps don't
always change as frequently as the server and are distributed as
separate tarballs I thought it would make sense to split them up so
that someone could pkg_delete and pkg_add a new server without mucking
with the maps they have installed (and possibly edited locally with the
provided map editor).

I think the two clients should be separated into two ports (even though
the source is distributed in the same tarball) since the GTK client
requires a bunch of GTK ports that not everyone will want to bother with
and doing it a port option makes generating the package list annoying.

I think the sounds should be separate ports since they change even less
frequently than the maps and if both clients are installed the ports
dependency checks makes sure they share the sound files and a pkg_delete
of one client won't remove the sound files the other client still needs.
By the way, the two different sets of sounds (*.au and *.raw formats)
are there because they have an old and a new sound system.  The new
system has a separate sound server that mixes sounds together etc but it
apparently doesn't work as well with certain sound hardware.

--
Dave Chapeskie, DDM Consulting
<dchapes@ddm.on.ca>