Date:      Thu, 7 Jan 1999 00:55:58 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        julian@whistle.com (Julian Elischer)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, louie@TransSys.COM, dnelson@redwoodsoft.com, lem@cantv.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Source address

> > This is a generic problem in the way sockets are bound.
> >
> > Similar fallout from the problem is that, when you change IP
> > addresses on interfaces, you have to restart daemons bound to
> > the IP addresses, etc..
> >
> > In general, the best possible corrective action would be to allow
> > binding of sockets to interfaces instead of IP addresses.
>
> what about interfaces with multiple adresses?

See below:

> > For a complete soloution, you'd want to be able to bind a socket
> > to all interfaces, a specific interface, an IP address regardless of
> > interfaces that have that address, and an interface/IP address pair.

If the set isn't inclusive, obviously, you'd need multiple lines in
the inetd.conf.  I don't see this as a problem, since it's not like
it's something that the code deals with now, anyway.  The current
code binds to INADDR_ANY, which means all IP addresses on all interfaces.

This is known to screw up for NFS, and it's known to screw up for the
case where the same IP address is used on multiple interfaces.

Using the same IP address on multiple interfaces is highly desirable
for "bump on the wire" type applications, including, but not limited
to, firewall, VPN, NAT, and transparent proxy applications.

A more common "bum on the wire" application would make the bump have
the same IP address as the exterior gateway on the interior
interface, and the same IP address as the interior router on the
exterior interface, since this would let you deploy "zero address count"
servers.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---