Date:      Sun, 22 Aug 1999 11:48:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@altavista.net>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sync(8) doesn't have any effect on softupdates-enabled filesystem

yes and no.
the sync wheel indicates buffers to wrrite
in an order that will probably ensure that early dependencies are
satisfied before later ones, however even after being written,
a buffer might have remaining unsatisfied dependencies that
required that teh on disk and in momory version sstill do not match.
In this case it will have been rewritten back to the sync-wheel further in
the future. What one can do is acellerate teh speed that teh daemon goes
around the wheel, but you must never go faster than the disks can write,
because if you queue a block that depends on something that hasn't got to
disk yet, you will be queueing the old version.