Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 96 21:37 WET
From:      uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org (Frank Durda IV)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: clock accuracy?

[2]From: John Hay <jhay@mikom.csir.co.za>
[2]The way I see it is that the problem isn't in the Pentium-timer's
[2]accuracy, it is determining the the clock speed of the Pentium
[2]accurately. The times when my Pentium is probed as a 90MHz Pentium
[2]the clock runs ok. It is when it is probed as 89.xx or even slower
[2]that the clock runs too fast.

Or you have an Energy Star Pentium computer, where the system deliberately
slows the processor speed down when the system is idle, thus saving
electricity.  Even if this mode doesn't work under FreeBSD, having a master
clock that can vary its frequency on demand should give pause as to whether
that clock is reliable enough to rely on for TOD.   Since the processor
allows a +/-10% deviation in clock speed (see Intel databook), the CPU
doesn't care about the speed drifting around, but if we use it as a
time-piece, you will.

On the two Pentium boards with Energy Star I have had access to, the Pentium
instruction clock is less accurate than the 8254.

Frank Durda IV <uhclem@nemesis.lonestar.org>|"The Knights who say "LETNi"
or uhclem%rwsystr.nkn.net (Fastest Route)   | demand...  A SEGMENT REGISTER!!!"
...letni!rwsys!nemesis!uhclem               |"A what?"
					    |"LETNi! LETNi! LETNi!"  - 1983