Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2000 22:44:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Jasper O'Malley" <jooji@nickelkid.com>
To:        Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>
Cc:        hal Lynch <hal@sticky.usu.edu>, FreeBSDQuestions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Diskless (kiosk)

On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, Conrad Sabatier wrote:

> On 21-Jan-00 hal Lynch wrote:
> >
> > If this is do-able using FreeBSD where can I look for some hints
> > on how I might proceed?
> >
> > What haven't I thought of that I should?
>
> Netscape needs to write to a directory *somewhere*, even (I think)
> with cacheing disabled.  You're going to have to have something writeable.
> Perhaps MFS would do the trick.

The newer IBM Network Stations (models 2200 and 2800) running in kiosk
mode do exactly what you're looking to do. They run a heavily customized
version of NetBSD, booted off a flash card with a read-only root filesystem
on the card, and with an MFS /tmp filesystem, in which the kiosk user has
its writable home directory.

The thing boots into X out of an endless loop in the startup scripts and
runs whatever application(s) you've configured it to. If it's configured
to run Netscape, it does that, and if Netscape is closed, the loop in the
startup script just restarts X and Netscape.

It should be fairly easy to reproduce on a diskless PC with FreeBSD and a
live filesystem burned onto a CD, but you'll want to strip out a ton of
potentially dangerous crap from that filesystem if you're just looking to
run Netscape with a minimum of places for imaginative students to wander
into. The IBM Network Stations don't even have chmod on the filesystem :P
You'll also want to make /var a symlink to somewhere in that /tmp
filesystem, as well.

Cheers,
Mick