Date:      Sun, 27 Jan 2008 00:19:05 -0700
From:      Predrag Punosevac <punosevac@math.arizona.edu>
To:        Chris Maness <chris@chrismaness.com>,  questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xserver woes

Chris Maness wrote:
> Predrag Punosevac wrote:
>> Chris Maness wrote:
>>> I have a "headless" box where I upgraded from 7.2 to 7.3 per the
>>> security issue, now I am unable to start vnc.  I get:
>>>
>>> $ less ns1.kq6up.org\:1.log
>>>
>>> Xvnc Free Edition 4.1.2 - built Dec  1 2007 13:55:16
>>> Copyright (C) 2002-2005 RealVNC Ltd.
>>> See http://www.realvnc.com for information on VNC.
>>> Underlying X server release 40300000, The XFree86 Project, Inc
>>>

>>> Sat Jan 26 21:59:51 2008
>>> vncext:      VNC extension running!
>>> vncext:      Listening for VNC connections on port 5901
>>> vncext:      Listening for HTTP connections on port 5801
>>> vncext:      created VNC server for screen 0
>>> error opening security policy file
>>> /usr/local/lib/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy
>>> Could not init font path element /usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/,
>>> removing from list!
>>> Could not init font path element /usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/CID/,
>>> removing from list!
>>> Could not init font path element /usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/,
>>> removing from list!
>>> Could not init font path element /usr/local/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/,
>>> removing from list!
>>>
>>> Fatal server error:
>>> could not open default font 'fixed'
>>> xsetroot:  unable to open display 'ns1.kq6up.org:1'
>>>
>>> These fonts are installed.  Very wierd.
>>>
>>> If I run the command:
>>>
>>> pkg_info | grep xorg
>>>
>>> // I get //
>>>
>>> linux-xorg-libs-6.8.2_5 Xorg libraries, linux binaries
>>> xorg-7.3_1          X.Org complete distribution metaport
>>> xorg-apps-7.3       X.org apps meta-port
>>> xorg-docs-1.4,1     X.org documentation files
>>> xorg-drivers-7.3_1  X.org drivers meta-port
>>> xorg-fonts-100dpi-7.3 X.Org 100dpi bitmap fonts
>>> xorg-fonts-7.3      X.org fonts meta-port
>>> xorg-fonts-75dpi-7.3 X.Org 75dpi bitmap fonts
>>> xorg-fonts-cyrillic-7.3 X.Org Cyrillic bitmap fonts
>>> xorg-fonts-miscbitmaps-7.3 X.Org miscellaneous bitmap fonts
>>> xorg-fonts-truetype-7.3 X.Org TrueType fonts
>>> xorg-fonts-type1-7.3 X.Org Type1 fonts
>>> xorg-libraries-7.3_1 X.org libraries meta-port
>>> xorg-protos-7.3     X.org protos meta-port
>>> xorg-server-1.4_4,1 X.Org X server and related programs
>>>
>>> Any ideas folks?
>> Try to erase .vnc and start server again.
>>
> I tried that one to no avail.   I just re-built/installed the xfont
> server, and all its dependencies, but this still did not fix the
> problem. portupgrade -fr xfs-1.0.5,1
>
> I feel like ripping out all the ports and starting from scratch, but I
> can't do that as this is a production server :o(

If you are using TightVNC server you may try to install X11VNC and
forget about TightVNC server and vise verse.  They should not conflict
each other. You can also try to pkg_delete and to clean configuration
files and reinstall the VNC server you are using.

I am little bit surprised that you are running X let alone VNC server on
the production machine.
Are you aware of the fact that you can display programs that run on your
server on the another machine in X even though X itself doesn't run on
your server. That can be done via ssh tunel.

Read the page 91 from the book Secure Architectures with OpenBSD.

Best,
Predrag