Date:      Tue, 13 Aug 2002 16:22:40 -0500
From:      "Schroeder, Aaron" <Aaron.Schroeder@qg.com>
To:        "'freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org>, "'freebsd-kde@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-kde@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Missing KDEPrint/CUPS libraries?

Hello all,

I have KDE3 installed on my Miata workstation, running 4.6-STABLE,
XFree86-4.2, and the "newest" cups from the ports. I have been trying to use
the printing functions from within KDE to connect to a couple of printers on
my LAN. After a bit of research at http://printing.kde.org I stumbled across
this bit of information:

<snip>
Having CUPS installed is not sufficient to have KDEPrint using it. You also
need the KDEPrint plugin for CUPS installed. To determine if you have it,
check the existence of the files:

$KDEDIR/lib/kde3/libkdeprint_cups.la
$KDEDIR/lib/kde3/libkdeprint_cups.so
$KDEDIR/share/apps/kdeprint/plugins/cups.print

If those files are not installed on your system, then the possible reasons
are:

either the kdelibs package wasn't compile with CUPS support and you'll need
to recompile kdelibs (or ask your Linux Distribution for updated packages),
or the cups plugin has been packaged separately (for example kdelibs-cups).
</snip>

So, I did a bit of digging around on my system and I found 1 of the 3
required files, that file being
'/usr/local/share/apps/kdeprint/plugins/cups.print'. I am unable to find the
other files on my system. Since I am not one to rule out the possibility of
it being my machine, I am more or less wondering if anyone else has come
across this at all, or if this is alpha-specific. If so, what is the fix? I
noticed that the port has been updated, but I have not installed as of yet.

Please carbon me in as I am not a part of the freebsd-kde dis list.

Thanks,

AJ Schroeder