Date:      Sat, 27 Apr 1996 19:02:23 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: About to make the jump to -current...

> I want to build a -current kernel on a -stable system.  Is that a
> reasonable thing to do?  Will the resulting kernel work with -stable

Not as a general rule, no.  Things like pstat, w, and other kernel
grubbing commands tend to break if something has been changed in the
system and you've not also updated your libkvm and friends.

> binaries?  Will I need to build the config out of -current in order to
> configure the kernel, or will the one in -stable be good enough?

I can't say for sure given arbitrary values for "A" and "B" here, but
it's always a good idea to rebuild config before kernel.. ;-)

> Also, if I upgrade to -current, would it be good enought to grab
> jordan's next snapshot and just extract all the binaries from it onto
> my system and reboot with a -current kernel?  Or is there a painless
> upgrade option in the snapshot?

Yes, you could always just try the snapshot upgrade.  That's basically
all it does anyway!

					Jordan