Date:      Fri, 02 Feb 2001 05:47:51 GMT
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@evilcode.com>
To:        "James" <daemus@oregonfast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: panic: ufs_dirbad: bad dir

James writes:

> What part of the kernel install did it panic on? (if you even saw that
> part)

Sorry, I forgot to mention that.  Here is what was left on my remote screen
after the panic:

root@ducky:/usr/src/sys/compile/DUCKY] # make install
chflags noschg /kernel
mv /kernel /kernel.old
install -c -m 555 -o root -g wheel -fschg  kernel /kernel
if [ -d /modules -a -n "`ls /modules`" ]; then  mkdir -p /modules.old;  cp
 -p /modules/* /modules.old;  fi;

> Have you tried booting the previous kernel? I'm not sure if it'll
> even boot... but, you might want to try that.

I tried the old kernel, but it failed to get past the probing.  I can't
remember the messages, but it was something like "isa_?? cannot get ports
for le...... cannot get irq for le".

> You might also wanna try installing the same /kernel and /modules that you
> were when it panic'd, while you have the drive mounted on another box.

There is no /kernel.old any more.  I have installed the new 4.2 kernel
when the drive was mounted in another box.  Its that kernel which produce
the messages below.

Thanks.