Date:      Mon, 27 Apr 1998 02:59:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ouch... (DEVFS)

On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, Andrzej Bialecki wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Yet another minor problem: does DEVFS support vn(4) driver? I can't make
> it work.
yes it SHOULD work but I haven't tested it for a while.

> First of all, I don't have entries for slices, i.e. I don't have
> [r]vn0{a,c}. When I do 'disklabel vn0 auto' it warns me that slice is
> zero-sized (or something similar), and when I read back the label it says
> that c: is unused (without DEVFS it just created the slice equal to the
> whole device size, and placed it under c:). Consequently, newfs'ing it
> doesn't work.

I'm not sure what's happenning..
let me look here

I'll get back to you with instructions..

BTW you should NEVER use the c partition for anything.
Always explicitly make a partition (e.g. 'a') and use that instead.
DEVFS will never display 'c' partitions in an attempt to stop people from
doing this.
(could this be your problem?)

> And yet another question: can I manually make device entries in /dev
> (using mknod)?

NO
when minor and major become dnamically allocated you willl not know what
to make.
only the kernel will know that..
you can however make links an dsymlinks and move things around.
you can also make/delete directories.