Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 1996 07:16:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        steve@aries.bb.cc.wa.us
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: printing to printer on novell net

On Wed, 23 Oct 1996 steve@aries.bb.cc.wa.us wrote:

> > 4) add the following lines to /etc/printcap
> >
> > lp|hp4sales1|Sales HP4 Plus 1:\
> >   :lp=/dev/null:rm=hp4sales1.bfd.com:rp=text:sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp4sales1:mx#0:
> >
> > where the rm= field is set to your printer's hostname (from step 3).

> This was so helpful, but I ran into a problem.  My printjobs go
> through, but no formfeed is sent at the end.  I have read printcap
> 101 times, and tried just about everything I can think of.  Am I
> missing something easy?  I put the printcap entry exactly like you
> have it (except the rm field).

No. the rp=text field is supposed to handle that, and turn of the
staircasing effect.  How old is your Jet Direct card, and what printer is
it in?

The default filter adds a formfeed to the end of the document, but lpd
doesn't use the filters when you are printing to a remote printer.  I can
only think of one way around this, two ways to implement it; one a kludge,
the other something I haven't done yet.

kludge:  set up another printcap entry that uses a shell script for a
filter, and the filter feeds its stdin and a formfeed to another
invocation of lpr.  Last time I tried something like this, I could only
print one file at a time.

better solution:  Install LPRng (mentioned in the handbook, sorry, I have
no other references), which can be set up to use filters on a remote
printer.  I plan on using it for an auto-postscript filter on the above
mentioned printer.