Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 1999 14:50:52 +1100
From:      "Lachlan O'Dea" <lodea@vet.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: virus

On Thu, Dec 23, 1999 at 03:21:05AM +0000, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> >It sounds like you are trying to make money out of this and not
> >release the methods.  That's not the way we work.  In any case, for us
> >viruses are a non-issue.
>
> I heard it *is* possible to have viruses in Unix (or at least Linux).  But
> i guess they just aren't popular... yet.

I think pretty much every platform in existence has at least one virus
that runs on it. Usually someone does it just to prove it can be
done. I've seen a man page virus that would probably work on a number of
Unix-like systems that have gcc.

However, I believe that all of the viruses currently considered in the
wild run under one of DOS, Mac, Windows or a Microsoft application. So
for all practical purposes, viruses are a total non-issue under Unix.

Some boot sector viruses work on any x86 machine, regardless of
OS. These aren't very common now days, but you can easily protect
against them by setting your BIOS to boot of the hard drive before the
floppy drive.

--
Lachlan O'Dea <mailto:lodea@vet.com.au>   Computer Associates Pty Ltd
Webmaster                                   Vet - Anti-Virus Software

"No, no, there is no why." - Yoda, Jedi Master