Date:      Thu, 04 Mar 1999 07:44:55 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        mjacob@feral.com
Cc:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, phk@critter.freebsd.dk, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Request for review: changes to if_vlan.c

Matthew Jacob wrote:

> > Amen, brother!  Get it said!  People who claim that strings are
> > "too slow" would benefit greatly from spending a few days with the
> > profiler.
>
> Now I'll stir the other pot and say that performance isn't the issue- the
> issue is that there's nothing that says that strings and identifiers are
> always easier to use and/or understand than numbers.

Well, maybe. I'll like to propose the following test. It doesn't
really prove anything, and even statistical results would be pretty
much meaningless in direct answer to your question (ie, it would not
show that strings and identifiers are always easier to understand,
but would show that that is the case for most people).

Here is the test. Please identify the action of the following
signals. They are listed here first by numbers, then by identifiers.
I have taken the liberty to change the ordering of the identifiers,
so you can't claim the numbers helped you identifying them.

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31

SIGIO
SIGXCPU
SIGXFSZ
SIGVTALRM
SIGPROF
SIGWINCH
SIGINFO
SIGUSR1
SIGUSR2
SIGHUP
SIGINT
SIGQUIT
SIGILL
SIGTRAP
SIGABRT
SIGALRM
SIGTERM
SIGURG
SIGSTOP
SIGTSTP
SIGCONT
SIGCHLD
SIGTTIN
SIGTTOU
SIGIOT
SIGEMT
SIGFPE
SIGKILL
SIGBUS
SIGSEGV
SIGSYS
SIGPIPE

Send the results to your conscience. ;-)

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

	"FreeBSD is Yoda, Linux is Luke Skywalker."