Date:      Wed, 20 Dec 2000 16:59:00 +0100
From:      Nicolas Souchu <nsouch@alcove.fr>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        msmith@freebsd.org
Subject:   VGL troubles when switching windows

Mike, Hackers,

There are timing problems when switching VGA memory windows in non
linear frame buffer mode with my S3 card. The strange thing is that
splash_bmp works well but not my small VGL application.

The main difference between both contexts is that splash_bmp is
executed before the system is up, whereas my VGL application runs
in full multiuser mode.

The trouble is that part of the displayed picture is shifted down and
right. Note that while trying to debug it with gdb, and breaking on
each VGLSetSegment() call, the pictures was drawn correctly. This is
what makes me think that this is a timing problem.

Of course, I tried to splhigh (under -stable) the vesa_set_origin()
function, but with no success. Anyway, it's certainly already done
by the vm86_intcall().

Any clue?

nicholas

--