Date:      Sat, 16 Nov 1996 15:25:15 -0500
From:      dennis@etinc.com (dennis)
To:        "Jacob Suter" <jsuter@intrastar.net>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Router Purchase - the bottom line

>> This is really funny! We're talking about systems stability,
>overheating, etc
>> and your running your processor 20% out of spec. Talk about bad
>moves...
>> Note that running your processor over spec is not highly
>recommended to
>> ISPs who are concerned about long-term stabilty.
>
>According to what I have read, this chip was designed to actually run
>160, but they didn't want it to compete with the more expensive
>K5/6x86/P5 chips.  So, they marketed it as the cooler 133 solution
>(which is only P66-P75ish speed)..
>
>I don't know what bug crawled in your ass lately, but its really
>beginning to be annoying.

Dont take it personally...it just seems funny that anyone who
is worried about minor cooling issues would run a processor
at such a dangerous temperature. Its not a big win financially,
and seems like its not worth the risk. The irony is that people
who are spending thousands of extra dollars because they 're
worried about a hard drive failure might just be likely to pay the
extra few dollars for a Pentium with proper cooling

db