Date:      Sun, 12 Sep 1999 14:06:06 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Jay Nelson <jdn@acp.qiv.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Brett or no Brett?

At 02:28 PM 9/12/99 -0500, Jay Nelson wrote:

>As much as I disagree with Brett's egalitarian vision of FreeBSD's
>future and strident advocacy,

I realize that not everyone agrees with the idea of strident advocacy
(though, from a memetic viewpoint, it is something that has to be done,
IMHO). And, as I say frequently, disagreement is fine: while it sometimes
leads to arguments, it also leads to thoughtful examination of the issues.

But, just out of curiosity, why do you disagree with the notion of
egalitarianism -- or at least even-handedness -- where distributions are
concerned? If FreeBSD becomes known as, effectively, the property of
Walnut Creek CDROM, it will almost certainly dampen contributors'
desire to contribute. They will realize that they are working not for the
good of all but -- to a large extent -- for the exclusive benefit
of Walnut Creek CDROM. This would not be a good thing, and therefore the
impediments to the creation of alternative distributions should be removed.

In addition, the existence of multiple distributions means more contributions
of money, time, and advocacy by the creators of those distributions. This
can only be a good thing.

>I dislike the sophomoric and sometimes
>acid responses he seems to draw from others on this list.

So do I, and I must admit that I don't fully understand why the people
who post them are showing such venom. Nothing I've said, or would like
to do, is adverse to the interests or success of FreeBSD as a development
project, and postings which characterize me as an "enemy of the project"
seem more designed to prejudice others against me than to contribute
something constructive to the discussion. In fact, I think that my proposals
stand to do the project great good.

>Would I be out of line suggesting that those who don't like what Brett
>writes simply not read or respond?

This is what I do when I find that I'm not interested in a topic. (I don't
generally tune out individual people, because I want to hear what they have
to say even if I don't agree with them. But your mileage may vary, of course.)

--Brett Glass