Date:      Mon, 1 Dec 1997 10:09:55 -0700 (MST)
From:      Charles Mott <cmott@srv.net>
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: annoying spammers...

On Mon, 1 Dec 1997, Jamie Bowden wrote:
> We have the domain html.com.  We have had it for over 3 years now, but
> recently millions of spam messages have gone out on the net with a from
> line of 1234567@html.com (the address is always some random number).  All
> the bounce messages come our server, despite the fact that we didn't send
> them.  I had to remove the server's ability to recieve mail at html.com
> about 2 weeks ago, as it was getting several hundred return mails a
> minute.  It now routes all mail to <number>@html.com to /dev/null.  Not
> that it stops my mailbox from filling up with requests from people who
> don't know how to read a fscking header who send mail to us whining about
> being removed from our lists.  *sigh*

Although you certainly have a clear civil case against the person who
wrote the spam software forging html.com and the spammers actually using
it, the costs of pursuing it would be too expensive.  Possibly a criminal
statute is being violated and you could get a U.S. attorney interested.
(Just donate some money to the DNC -- they're desperate for money and have
a solid record of arranging special government services for their donors.)

These spammers are a huge problem.  I don't think legal methods can work,
either.

Charles Mott