Date:      Tue, 4 Jun 1996 01:48:39 -0400 (EDT)
From:      James FitzGibbon <james@nexis.net>
To:        security@freebsd.org
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Reply from the author of popper at Qualcomm (fwd)

I don't know if this thread from Bugtraq has found itself here yet; if so
please disregard the vebosity of the message.

The quick version of the thread is that Qualcomm's pop server (the
"popper" port) can be fed an enourmous number of passwords, trying each in
turn until one is successful without causing anything untoward in the
logs.

Qualcomm has reported that v2.2 of popper addresses these concerns as
described below.  The port of popper is still at v2.1.4.3, and as I
understand it, is vulnerable.

--
j.

| James FitzGibbon                                         james@nexis.net |
| Integrator, The Nexis Group                     Voice/Fax : 416 410-0100 |