Date:      Wed, 24 Jul 1996 19:38:53 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Rob Snow <rsnow@lgc.com>
To:        Thomas J Balfe <tbalfe@falcon.tioga.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Micropolis, again

On Wed, 24 Jul 1996, Thomas J Balfe wrote:
> Save yourself the headache, that Micropolis 4.3GB that I had replaced
> (again) under warranty is giving problems once more.
>
> Jul 22 12:23:04 gryphon /kernel: , retries:2
> Jul 22 12:23:04 gryphon /kernel: sd0(ahc0:0:0): MEDIUM ERROR info:77ab0b
> asc:11, 0 Unrecovered read error
>
> My ~messages is pretty full of this, and Micropolis is full of that, I
> will never buy anything from them again. I'm having the reseller replace
> that drive with a Quantum of the same capacity.

Just sent another batch of drives back today.  These have been collecting
for a month or so.  The tally:

2 X Seagate 10800
3 X Micropolis 1991
4 X Micropolis 1936
1 X Micropolis 1924
1 X IBM 2GB SGI OEM drive (stiction drive)

What I see:
9GB FH 5.25 not up to snuff
FH 5.25 Micropolis bad, bad, bad.

I'll replace most of them with 3.5" drives in the 4GB range. (Probably
Fujistu or Cudas.)  BTW, has anyone done any sampling of the 9GB 3.5's?

-Rob