Date:      Wed, 21 May 1997 11:29:48 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Wes Peters - Softweyr LLC <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: caching DNS, question

On Sun, 18 May 1997 16:17:56 -0400 (EDT), Richard Toren wrote:
 >   What I want to do is install a local DNS (just upgraded from 2.1.5 to
 > 2.2.1) that responds to local queries; bounces out to the ISP's DNS when
 > needed; but retains a cache of recently used resolutions (say for 30
 > minutes or so).
 >
 >   I have O'Reilly "DNS & Bind". So if the answer is in there, please
 > provide a pointer to the section or capability. Without understanding
 > the difference or interactions between named, bind, resolver, and NIS
 > I may have read right through it an not realized it... (not running NIS),
 > intermitent ISP connection with dynamic address....

A quick look at the index, under the topic "caching-only name servers",
points us to pages 167 and 171.  This setup has worked for me in the
past.  It will not, however, go to your ISPs nameserver for queries it
cannot revols out of cache, it will go directly to the root servers.
If you're using demand-dialed PPP, the result will be the same:
whenever you lookup a name that is not in cache, it wi link and resolve
the name automagically.