Date:      Wed, 03 Jul 2002 04:27:37 +0800
From:      derekbarrett@graffiti.net
To:        pedro@qui.uc.pt, Amar Takhar <verm@drunkmonk.net>
Cc:        freebsd-cluster@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD Cluster project.

Hi Pedro and Amar,

Here is the first revision to the Docs. At this point, my goal is to simply make sure I can install and run the patch, on my FreeBSD 4.5 system. After that, I'll set up 2 other machines, and then try to add them as nodes.

I'd say, since this list doesn't get much traffic, why don't we all just hammer on these instructions, and add/make corrections as needed, then upload the changes here? If you find an error, go ahead and email it to Chris Knight (chris@aims.com.au) and he can post it as an ERRATA on the cluster webpage.

Pedro,

Do you have experience using Doc Book? Amar can setup Doc Book on his server at Stanford, and we can update our Docs there.

Andy,

Well it looks like you have plenty of document help. I hope some coders might be able to offer their services.

===================================

I INSTALLING BASIC CLUSTER SOFTWARE FOR FREEBSD SYSTEMS

	1.  Obtain and install the CSE patch
            http://www.aims.com.au/chris/cluster/phase1-212-src.tar.gz
        2.  # mkdir /cluster
        3.  Download the latest cluster source code to /cluster
        4.  unzip the archive with the 'gunzip' command.
            # gunzip phase1-212-src.tar.gz
        5.  Un-TAR the archive with
            # tar xvf phase1-212-src.tar
        6.  Change directories to the new phase1 directory
            # cd cluster/phase1
        7.  Read the latest ERRATA and make changes to the code as needed
            http://www.aims.com.au/chris/cluster/ERRATA-212.txt
        7.  Start the build of the software with
            # make
	8.  Change directories to the the newly created package directory
            # cd /tmp/buildpkg
	9.  Run the install script to copy files to their home directories
            ./inst.cluster
            (This should return no output)

During the build process, a tar file is created n
/cluster/phase1/binaries.
For machines with the same machine architecture (and OS version) this
file can be reused, instead of going through a complete build process
on each machine. Un-TAR this file and start from step 9 above.

It is up to the system administrator to integrate the startup of the
cluster software into the system startup.

II SETTING FREEBSD RUNTIME ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES

The cluster tools will need the binary in the path, and display
environment set

For those running C Shell:

To set the PATH

1. # vi /.cshrc
2. add '/usr/local/cluster/bin' to the end of the existing path

To add a DISPLAY variable to .cshrc, add the line

setenv DISPLAY localhost:0.0

(For running remote displays, consult FreeBSD documentation)

III CONFIGURATION:

Once the cluster software is loaded, start the daemon by the following
command:

	clusterd

This will cause the load of the cluster modules and start all other
subtasts.

Before this it might be necesarry to tune the cluster daemon.  This is
done by modifying the file '/usr/local/cluster/etc/cluster.conf'.
There are various tunable options there.

Now the configuration of the cluster can begin.  In order to do this,
start the cluster configuration GUI.  This is done by invoking
'cl_admin'. NOTE: it is necesary that 'clusterd' is running on the
local node where cl_admin is running.

Two areas are present, 'resources' and 'nodes'.

First create the names of all of the nodes of the cluster.  This is
done by right-clicking on the heading 'nodes' and selecting 'NEW'.
The name should either match the hostname of the machine or the
override
name specified in 'cluster.conf' for that machine.

Then for each node under the "LLI" heading, right click to add each
network interface IP address that specifies the new node (Really this
*MUST* be an IP addresss--not a dns name).  When all have been added,
the resources need to be added.

Right click on the 'resources' heading and select new.  Enter a name
for the resource and it's weight (that is how much of the machine
will it utilize).  The weight is used to schedule failover of
applications. The monitor will never schedule applications where
their weight cannot be allocated.  It a resource becomes too large,
it can be rescheduled to another node.	Autostart allows a resource
to start right away when the cluster starts initially.

The name of the resource should be a legal filename since it will
have a corresponding script in /usr/local/cluster/etc/rc.d.  The
script will recieve two possible parameters: 'start' and 'stop',
which cause the resource to be started or stopped, respectively.  For
IP address failover configure a 'zero' weight and for the start option the
ifconfig option to bring up the address and for the stop option the
command to bring down the interface.  For other things model the script like an standard 'rc' script.  There is an example script in
/usr/local/cluster/lib directory.

To add nodes to the resources, drag either the resource over the node,
or the node over the resource.

Control of any of the objects on the configuration screen can be done
with a right-click.

To start the cluster software into active mode: (IE: this is what
should be in the RC script) type 'cluster start'.  The current
running status can be returned by 'cluster status'.  To stop the
cluster, enter
'cluster stop'.