Date:      Fri, 7 Mar 2003 12:17:18 +0200
From:      Vallo Kallaste <kalts@estpak.ee>
To:        David Schultz <das@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "leak" in softupdates?

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 01:00:33AM -0800, David Schultz
<das@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:

[...]
> What I really don't understand is how you seem to manage to run
> into more bugs than everyone else.  (FYI, the libc_r/KVA_PAGES
> bug is now fixed in -STABLE.)

He has rather unusual requirements compared to a lot of others. As I
understand he runs hundreds of jails and has thousands of processes,
putting real challenge to VM. All this means that FreeBSD
isn't ready to enterprise yet, no matter what advocacy has to say.
I'm glad Marc hasn't gave up and every now-and-then sends the
findings out to lists, for the benefit of others, particularly
developers. One word about "enterprise"; I'm sure Yahoo and similar
big players run also FreeBSD on "big boxes", but they have real
engineers in the field and have customised installations, I guess.
Off-the-shelf FreeBSD isn't ready yet.
--

Vallo Kallaste